Thursday, April 4, 2013

Apologies to the Short Takes: Short Take #3

I've realized my last Short Takes post was in January. I suck. Surprisingly, I've been reading many of the essays whenever I see it convenient. I thought it would be a fun if I talked about an essay I despised. The victim: A Second Time by James Galvin. pg. 110

In this essay, Galvin seems to be paralleling some entity with the seasons/building of homes. I don't necessarily have beef with the content of this essay. It seems to read more as poetry than nonfiction. Then again, it doesn't quite seem like poetry either. See? He's confusing me. This seems to make the message of the essay arbitrary. If this essay was revised as a solid nonfiction or poetry piece, the message would come across stronger. At least it would for me.

3 comments:

  1. Keep 'em coming on Short Takes. It seems to me that those are good models for what we can achieve in our short pieces. Or good anti-models for what we don't want to achieve, as is the case here!

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description makes me want to read this one, actually. In small doses I enjoy to be frustrated and/or confused. Usually it comes as an 'and' situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on your anti-recomendation, I will not read this.

    ReplyDelete