Saturday, March 30, 2013

Victoria by The Kinks

The title of this post has nothing to do with Mr. Rodriguez but the title of his essay reminds me of this timeless song. I sometimes worry when my mind works like Dr. W's (e.g. American Pie).

When first reading Late Victorians, I was lost in the direction* the essayist was trying to take. Luckily, our anthology has a Contents by Theme and Form. It was neatly labeled under "Mosaic." It was all by itself.  Poor Rick. After looking up the definition of mosaic, I still was not clear on Late Victorians.

I scribbled in my book that San Fran was being molded into a living organism. As I write this post, I'm not too sure I believe my own notes. When he talks of the city being "Land's end," I can't help but imagine some sort of giant biological specimen engulfing entire dreams of those who are unfortunate enough to travel there. Maybe this doesn't make sense due to Rick constantly reminding us of the movements taking place there? But he also seems conflicted with said movements so maybe my crazy metaphor isn't so crazy? Who knows.

I did enjoy how he talked of how AIDS being the plague of absence. This was an interesting and even more depressing look on the disease. He also talked about how homosexuals had to fill a void because society made their "unnatural activities" feel, well, not natural, thus non-existent. (I found this on pg. 760 which I tastefully labeled "An Architecture Lesson on Sodomy") They then have to take other activities and must cling to them, like something that likes to cling to things.

* Are we allowed to use the word "direction?" I just found out from Mish's comment on Friday that we are not allowed to use "flow." Is there a list?



4 comments:

  1. I really liked the image you put in my mind with the whole biological specimen thing. I just watched the new Spiderman movie this past weekend, and all I could think of was (if you've seen the movie) when the biological gas is released into the air. I also thought the whole plague of absence thing was interesting, particularly since the author is gay.

    And the video/song I can totally dig because I've been on this "I can only listen to British bands!" kick for the last year it seems. Like all I want to run to is The Fratellis (maybe that's lame, I dunno). And The Kooks are my favorite band (perhaps also lame but I will own it)... and they're said to have pulled some influence from The Kinks. Rambling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only Fratellis song I'm familiar with is Whistle for the Choir. I had a girlfriend in high school who really liked the song. I tried to learn it for her. I failed. Best british-inspired band? The Blakes.

      Delete
    2. My wife likes The Kooks. I've never heard of The Blakes. On the list.

      I'm liking this post Anthony. You gave a shot at a tough essay. Yeah, I think San Francisco comes alive in the essay, and there's just so much vibrant description contrasted with the bleak subject matter.

      "Flow" seems like it describes something, but I don't think it describes anything. "Direction" might be similar, but I think I use it.

      Dave

      Delete