Thursday, February 14, 2013

Fisher and Ackerman sittin' in a tree...

*prolonged, dramatic sigh of misery*

Dave,
Are you trying to make me go insane?

 I only jest.

On a serious note however, when reading Fisher's Once a Tramp, Always... I could not help but being reminded of Diane Ackerman and her off the wall sensory. It seems as if these two are nice compliments to one another, or as Angela put it, they are supplements.

When reading of the potato chips...oh my. My eye began to twitch due to thinking of how this would be the exact way Ackerman would explain eating a delicious potato chip. "They were ineffable" she proclaims. I must say, however, that when Fisher is explaining her experience with these chips in November of 1936, I began to salivate. I immediately tried to think of a certain food I  ate in my past and be able to say "Damn. That was my 'Fisher Potato Chip.'" Sadly, I could only think of the taste of the raisin bran I just devoured 30 minutes ago.

Maybe this is why I show public disdain for Ackerman and Fisher. I can not think of any experience with frivolous things like food. It seems almost unfair that I can't.

This weekend, I will try my hardest to experience my food with a hyperbolic sense such as Fisher and Ackerman and then maybe my envy will no longer cause dislike towards them. Stay tuned.


6 comments:

  1. Since you said rasin bran, I'm going to plug for Silver Linings Playbook because I thought it was a great movie and Jennifer Lawrence is astounding.

    But haha great title, I enjoy your disdain for Ackerman; it's always tasteful and, sadly, true haha. I agree that her potato chip stuff was very dramatic, but I liked it. I enjoyed it, maybe because it was about chips and not some fancy French delicacy. I related to it more I suppose. Not that I don't enjoy French foods... actually I just really like baguettes. I feel like you may despise my upcoming essay on Wed. because I tried to channel Ackerman a bit with over-the-top... so prepare yourself for that one I suppose haha. Anyway, great response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the reference to my word choice, haha. And I laughed out loud at the title. Also, I find it somewhat sad that raisin bran was the only thing you could taste... because it's not even the best cereal out there. She really does go into such great detail about the potato chips, it's pretty astounding. But then again, I guess I did the same with peanut butter and apples. Those two are rubbing off on me. I'm going to hold you to telling us about that hyperbolic experience with food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am enjoying the Ackerman-rage in this post. It's not that I can't stand her or anything, but some of her sensory descriptions are a bit too much for my less extravagant mind.

    Also, I'm shocked you legitimately enjoy Raisin Bran. I subscribe to the theory that 92% of all Raisin Bran is consumed by people who stayed over at someone's house and that was all the only thing their host had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the appealing thing about Fisher is that she exoticizes normal food. She tries to lift the everyday to a higher state, and, in way, that's one way to think about making our own essays interesting: we can make the strange familiar and the familiar strange.

    Yes to all. I want to hear about Anthony's mystical experience with the OU Dining Hall Taco Salad. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete